Open season is just a few weeks away for most of the US. It’s an exciting time of year for veteran hunters and beginners alike. But before heading out on your first hunt, make sure you’re familiar with Florida hunting laws and regulations. Hunting laws evolve on an almost yearly basis, mainly to address public safety for the benefit of the hunter and the hunted.
Florida Hunting Laws and Regulations
It’s a must to keep up to date on Florida hunting laws and regulations before heading out on your first hunt. Studying your state’s hunting laws might be a bit time consuming, and we know you’re impatient to get out there and start shooting. But breaking the law and having to pay a fine can put a serious damper on a hunting season. Other than knowing the laws, you must also learn safety tips when going out on a hunt.
Keep reading to learn about Florida hunting laws including dates, which animals you’re allowed to hunt, which weapon you’re allowed to use, how to get a hunting license, and much more.
1. Deer Hunting In Florida
|Zone / Statewide||Archery Season||Crossbow Season||Muzzleloading Gun Season||General Gun Season|
|Zone A||July 30 – Aug. 28||July 30 – Sept. 2||Sept. 3 – 16||Sept. 17 – Oct. 16 / Nov. 19 – Jan. 1|
|Zone B||Oct. 15 – Nov. 13||Oct. 15 – Nov. 13||Nov. 19 – Dec. 2||Dec. 3 – Feb. 19|
|Zone C||Sept. 17 – Oct. 16||Sept. 17 – Oct. 16||Oct. 22 – Nov. 4||Nov. 5 – Jan. 22|
|Zone D||Oct. 22 – Nov. 23||Oct. 22 – Nov. 23||Dec. 3 – 9 / Feb. 20 – 26||Nov. 24 – 27 / Dec. 10 – Feb. 19|
|Bag Limit / Possession Limit||2 Deer / 4 Deer||2 Deer / 4 Deer||2 Deer / 4 Deer||2 Deer / 4 Deer|
Legal Methods of Taking Game
- Firing single bullets at least .40-caliber.
- Firing two or more balls must be at 20-gauge or larger.
ii. Longbows, Compound bows, Recurve bows, Crossbows:
- Must have a minimum draw weight of 35 pounds.
- Arrows or bolts must be equipped with broadheads having at least two sharpened edges with a minimum width of 7/8 inch.
iii. Centerfire rifles:
- if semi-automatic, it must have a maximum magazine 5 round capacity.
For details on prohibited methods and equipment for taking deer, click here.
Hunting Licenses and Permits
Other than meeting the hunter safety requirement it is important that you understand what qualifies as a Florida residency.
2. Duck Hunting in Florida
Regular Season : November 19 – 27 / December 10 – January 29
September Teal and Wood Duck: September 17 – 21
September Teal Only: September 22 – 25
Youth Duck Season: February 4 -5, 2017
For other details on hunting ducks in Florida, click here.
Illegal Hunting Methods
No person shall take migratory game birds:
- With a rifle, pistol, swivel gun, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, trap, snare, net, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance.
- Using a shotgun of any description that can hold more than three shells, unless plugged with a one-piece filler that cannot be removed unless gun is disassembled.
- Shotgun incapable of holding more than three shells in magazine and chamber combined.
For more detailed information on what the illegal hunting methods for waterfowl, click here.
License and Permits
Recreational hunting licenses and permits are valid 12 months from the date of purchase.
For additional details on licenses, permits and prices, click here.
3. Hunting Wild Hogs in Florida
Wild pigs may be hunted or trapped all year round.
For the best hog hunting WMAs and more, click here.
Legal Methods of Take
On private property with landowner permission:
- The use of legal to own shotgun, rifle, pistol, bow or crossbow.
Click here to learn more about regulation on taking wild hogs.
License and Permits
- No hunting license is required if hunting on private property.
- A management area permit and other permits may be required during particular seasons if hunting on wildlife management areas.
For additional details on hunting wild pigs, click here.
However, certain seasons such as archery, muzzleloading gun season and more should be followed. Click here to find out more.
Watch this thrilling video from Deadly Passion as she hunts for huge gators and turkeys in Florida.
As long as you are knowledgeable with the hunting laws in the state of Florida and abide by them to the letter, you and your hunting buddies will surely enjoy every minute of hunting.
Hunt safe and hunt proud!
Do you want to learn more about hunting laws in other states? Well, you can start hunting them here.
Featured image via Sushi168